The human digestive system is where nutrients are extracted from consumed food and drinks. Fuelling the body for energy, cell growth and repair, the digestive system covers several human organs, including the mouth, oesophagus, liver, pancreas, intestines, rectum, and anus. Gastroenterology covers the function and diseases related to the digestive system.
From irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) to heartburn, Sungai Long Specialist Hospital covers a wide-range of gastroenterological ailments. With comprehensive care for a variety of ailments, our specialists are trained to provide comprehensive diagnosis in detecting, advising, and treating the following gastroenterological conditions:
• Colon Cancer
• Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
• Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
• Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
• Peptic ulcer
• Celiac disease
• Crohn’s Disease
• Ulcerative Colitis
• Anal Fissure
DID YOU KNOW:
1. Colon/colorectal cancer are abnormal growths located in the colon or rectum. Known to be the most commonly diagnosed cancer in Malaysia, colon cancer is caused by poor lifestyle factors such as: obesity, alcohol, tobacco and a low-fiber diet consumption.
2. Despite the mild severity nature of haemorrhoids, the affected veins could swell up and cause excruciating internal pain. Thrombectomy, haemorrhoidectomy, and stapled haemorrhoidopexyare some surgical solutions in addressing severe haemorrhoids.
3. Jaundice is a condition in which the skin, whites of the eyes and mucous membranes turn yellow due to high levels of bilirubin bile. Hepatitis, gallstones and tumours are some of the causes of jaundice. Urinalysis and liver diagnosis are some solutions in detecting jaundice.
4. Commonly known as gastric, gastritis is an inflammation of the stomach lining. The condition can be either chronic or acute, where the patient may suffer from black stool, dehydration, loss of appetite, and pain in the upper abdomen. Frequent meals and a cut on coffee, chilies, and cigarettes would help mitigate the inflammation.
5. The most common inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD) are ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease; both of which affects the body’s immune system in the digestive tract. Diarrhoea, fatigue, and cramps are common symptoms of IBD.
6. Despite the local perception of rarity, IBD is rather common among Malaysians. As of 2013, Malaysia’s annual incidence of IBD was reported as 0.94 per 100,000 persons. While there is no direct cure for IBDs, early diagnosis and disease management are recommended solutions.
7. Smoking contributes to many digestive system ailments, such as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and heartburn. While quitting the habit may cause withdrawal symptoms such as constipation, such issues do resolve in a matter of weeks.
An early gastroenterological diagnosis helps to mitigate the worst-case scenario. Make an appointment
with Sungai Long Specialist Hospital today by contacting the following doctors:
- +6011 1608 2588
- +603 9019 9618